Encourage a convivial atmosphere with a proven set of ice-breaking techniques.
1. Serve a banquet-style meal instead of a buffet or traditional sit-down – the simple act of passing platters between one another paves an easy avenue for conversation.
2. Make everyone feel included by screening a slideshow that presents a collection of photographs of you and your groom, and recounts your love story. Incorporate photos of your guests to show how they’ve each shared in your journey.
3. Hire a jukebox and set it in the corner of the dancefloor for a conversation-stirring alternative to the iPod playlist.
4. Display maps throughout the reception venue – on them, your guests can pin where they’re from in one colour, and where they met you or your groom in another. It’s an original way to get guests comparing how they know you.
5. Imagine opening a time capsule on your 10th wedding anniversary and reading your guests’ predictions for your future! Encourage them to add their thoughts on subjects such as the number, gender and names of your future children, where you’ll live and any career changes – then seal the container and wait.
6. Dessert tables aren’t just delicious – they make a playful talking piece especially when set up as DIY sundae, lolly or coffee bars.