How do you give your reception a soundtrack that will simultaneously impress your aunty and your coolest set of friends? With a playlist that’s “both familiar and refreshing at the same time”, says Mix It DJ’s Stephen Buckley.
“The scenario is exactly what I get asked every time I meet a couple about to get married: they don’t particularly mind what we play, as long as it will get a decent number of their guests – who might range in age from 12 to 92 – on their feet.
“Our approach is about mixing old with new to create a unique sound that’s both familiar and refreshing. We’re not going to play the same old drivel start to finish. Instead you’ll see us mixing completely live from a selection of records tailor-made to please everyone. Our DJs have carved out their niche amongst couples that want an eclectic upbeat mix that gets everyone dancing but avoids the overtly played wedding clichés. And so we work a lot more in the vintage rock, soul, funk, 70s and 80s remixes and soulful house.”
1. James Brown – Get Up Offa That Thing
2. RJD2 – Ghostwriter
3. Amy Winehouse – Valerie
4. Mr Scruff – Get A Move On
5. Donna Summer - Bad Girls
6. Rihanna feat Calvin Harris – We Found Love
7. Pharrell Williams – Happy
8. Fleetwood Mac – Dreams (Flight Facilites Remix)
9. Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terell – Ain’t no Mountain High Enough
10. Etta James – At Last
11. Disclosure – Latch
12. Pickster feat Kris Hill – Let's Stay Together
13. Sigma – Nobody To Love
14. Macklemore feat Ryan Lewis – Can't Hold Us
15. Lykke Li – I Follow Rivers Magicians Remix
16. Mark Ronson feat Bruno Mars – Uptown Funk
17. Stevie Wonder – Superstition
18. Kanye West feat Jamie Foxx – Gold Digger
19. Ellie Goulding – Love Me Like You Do
20. Major Lazer and DJ Snake – Lean On
This playlist is an extended version of the one that ran in our Autumn issue as part of our Ultimate Wedding Cheat Sheet.