Keeping your wits about you will mean you aren't greeted with a bigger-than-expected bill, here, we give you ten secrets to controlling the budget.
1. Start the planning process by settling on a budget you're both happy with - some light online research beforehand will help you establish ballpark figures and therefore conjure a realistic figure.
2. Whatever shape your final budget takes, make sure you allocate an extra 10 per cent to cover unanticipated expenses.
3. Even if it feels like love at first sight, research a range of vendors before signing a contract - meet the top three in person.
4. When you interview a vendor, don't become overwhelmed by their sales pitch - take a list of questions to each interview and make sure each of them is answered.
5. Even if prices seem crystal clear on websites, be sure to get confirmation.
6. Review quotes carefully, and check that each figure aligns with the details discussed, including extra fees and timing details.
7. Ask for a guarantee that your agreed price won't creep up. If you can't swing this, negotiate an escalation clause of no more than five per cent.
8. Check whether your venue has extra fees, such as corkage or cake cutting charges.
9. Determine cancellation clauses and how deposits are protected should your vendor go out of business before the big day.
10. Be specific with suppliers to make sure your spend is worth it - when detailing cake or flower choices, take photos, stationary samples or fabric swatches so there's no confusion when it comes to colour or style.
Found these tips helpful for planning your big day? See more - including advice on corner cutting savings - in our hot summer issue, on shelves now!