Be inspired by the soft shades of a 1950s ice-cream parlour, extending your theme from your colour palette right through to your menu, and even the guest favours. For those of you wanting to treat your guests with something they can eat, here is a cookie recipe guaranteed to delight everyones taste buds.
Vanilla Cookie Favours
350g plain flour
100g self-raising flour
125g caster sugar
125g salted butter, diced and softened
1 large egg, lightly beaten
125g golden syrup
½ tsp vanilla essence
2 cups icing sugar
30g egg white powder
gel food colouring in various shades
1. Preheat the oven to 160ºC. Sift the flours together, add the sugar and mix well. Add the butter and rub in with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
2. Make a well in the centre of the mixture and add the egg, syrup and essence. Mix until a ball of dough forms.
3. Roll out the dough between two sheets of baking paper. Cut out cookies and space evenly on a tray lined with baking paper, then refrigerate for 30 minutes.
4. Bake cookies in the oven for 12 to 18 minutes, or until golden in colour. Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely before icing.
5. To make each shade of royal icing, combine all the ingredients except the food colouring using an electric mixer or a hand-held beater. When a smooth, thick paste forms, add the food colouring.