FROM THE EDITOR, RACHEL RAMSAY
A close friend of mine recently got engaged. After the initial elated flurry (taking an up-close look at her ring and hearing her proposal story) the conversation quickly turned to the big day itself.
Nothing shines a light on the momentous nature of wedding planning quite like those early discussions – there’s the venue to organise, themes to think of, a bridal party to select, and the list goes on. That’s what we’re here for: New Zealand Weddings aims to make the planning process as smooth as possible, all while showing you smart new ideas and exciting trends for every aspect of your special celebration.
In this issue, on sale Monday 3rd July 2017!
- Flick to our Planning section for tips on everything from saving money on invitations (page 136) to creating a non-traditional gift registry without causing offence (page 148).
- ‘On the Menu’, page 154, serves as something of a crash course in wedding catering; whether you’re opting for full-service venue packages, a more flexible approach, or simply can’t decide because you’re overwhelmed by the options, I hope that this cheat sheet will shed some much-needed clarity.
- As always, our Real Weddings section serves as a mecca of inspiration. These stories are a consistent favourite amongst readers (and us!), which is why we have made this issue’s Real Weddings section our biggest ever. It includes the story of our Dream Wedding winners Shani and Mark, who won a $60,000 celebration thanks to our ‘Dream Team’ of generous vendors.
- If you like what you see, turn to page 170 – we have yet another Dream Wedding up for grabs, this time held in the tropical paradise of Fiji.
- Alternatively, make a beeline to page 98. You could be our Bride of the Year or Couple of the Year, and win a prize package worth $10,000 (including a honeymoon in Rarotonga. Yes please!)
One of the highlights on the New Zealand Weddings calendar is our annual runway show at NZ Fashion Week, where the country’s top bridal and menswear designers will unveil this season’s collections. If you’re still in search of your dream gown, this is the perfect hunting ground – join us runway side on September 2 for your dose of sartorial inspiration.
A few days after my friend’s engagement, she described the outpouring of planning help she has received from friends and family. It’s a running theme I hear from brides: when it comes to weddings, everyone seems happy to help. Such is the magic of weddings, after all; they’re joyful occasions not only for you, but for your nearest and dearest as well – and how lovely to give everyone a reason to celebrate.
Here’s to their happiness, and yours – and here’s to celebrating in style.